Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"what makes you itch?"

One of my Facebook friends posted the following video on her wall today:


I highly suggest you take the few short minutes to watch for yourself, but the basic suggestion is that a person ought to consider what it is that they would do with their lives if money was no object, then do just that. Eventually, most passions turn to skills which can be used for profit, right?

So, I watched the video and found myself at a bit of a loss because I don't know what I would want to do if money was no object. I mean, if pressed, I can think of a long list of things I suppose I wouldn't mind doing:

- I would like to travel internationally and visit historical sites and famous works of art and try new foods and experience new cultures.
- I would love to snowboard more and push myself to advance and get good enough that there isn't a mountain out there I couldn't enjoy.
- I would like to take horseback riding lessons, dance lessons, learn new languages, take up an instrument, experiment with cooking, read the news regularly, finish all the unread books on my bookshelves, visit with family members.
- I would volunteer in my community, mentoring young people and learning from the experiences of the elderly.
- Eventually, I would like to adopt a child or two children or maybe even be a foster parent to give at least a couple people something good in such a messed up system.
- I would probably still go to law school... unburdened by financial considerations, I could choose a program that worked best for me regardless of cost of living in the area, length of time to complete school, or potential profit afterward.
- I would become more civically engaged. I might even get into politics. I would be a passionate and intelligent voice, free of corruption, for those that need it most--the people that work their asses off every day and yet still struggle to just survive.

I am sure there are a million more, but only the last two would even potentially be career paths for me. And to take either of those career paths, I feel like I'd have to give up almost the entire list of other things I put before them. Just the time investment alone for careers in law and politics is extraordinary.

It sure does give a person something to think about... What would you do if money was no object? Could you see yourself making a life out of your passion?

No comments: